Monday, November 22, 2010

Gift Idea: Pizza Shop

This week on Lemon Tree Creations we're sharing some of our gift ideas. I wanted to share this little gift that my 2 year old son will be receiving this Christmas, a pizza shop.

IMG_8477.JPG

My son just loves pizza. (It's a good thing too, because pizza nights have been a tradition between my husband and I since the old days when we they were pizza and Arrested Development nights.) Anyway, this summer we found Jayce a little kitchen with a bin full of dishes at a yard sale, and the first thing that he decided to make and serve to us all was pizza. Ever since then I've had in my mind that I need to make him a little pizza shop, and I finally did.

First off, I bought a plain red kid's apron at JoAnn's and decorated it with Silhouette's heat transfer material. Now he is officially the pizza shop chef.

IMG_8064.JPG

I followed this tutorial for making a Lily Bean felt pizza. The only thing that I did differently was make my toppings a single layer that did not need to be sewed. (I tried to do it the way that she instructs, but I just couldn't pull off sewing little circles. I decided to let myself off the hook.)

feltpizza.jpg

Next I made him some uncooked pizza dough. I traced a salad plate (8 inches in diameter) onto the felt with a sharpie to get a nice circle, and then sewed around the line. I left a 3 inch strip open, trimmed the fabric around the circle, turned it inside out and used fabric glue to glue the opening shut. I would DEFINITELY recommend sewing before cutting out the circle. I tried it both ways and it's much easier to guide the fabric through the sewing machine when you have some excess to hold onto.

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

Next I got some mozzarella-colored yarn and made some shredded cheese.

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8468.JPG

I cut two 6 inch circles out of red felt. These would be the sauce. I also picked up 2 of these tins, perfect for my little chef to cook his pizza in! (I found these at the first thrift store that I went to, so just keep your eye out if you might make a little pizza shop someday. There are still plenty of days before Christmas!)

IMG_8483.JPG

Next up was the pizza toppings. I went pretty basic: pepperoni, mushrooms, and green peppers. I found a small cupcake pan at the thrift store that was perfect for housing the toppings and made them easily accessible to the chef.

IMG_8437.JPG

I had a few empty spice containers which quickly became pizza shop spice containers! I simply peeled off the old labels, made a few very basic labels on my computer, and printed them onto 2 inch by 4 inch shipping labels. It was the perfect fit. I filled the olives jar with some large wooden beads that I had on hand, and the spices jar will be filled with some small beads and the top taped shut. Just enough to make a fun rattling sound when when the chef is spicing up his pizza.

IMG_8446.JPG

IMG_8448.jpg

The final touch? A pizza box!!

IMG_8453.JPG

No, I did not make this, but I'm sure that if you tell the pizza person at the drive through window that your kid loves to play pizza shop, and could you please have an empty pizza box for him to play with, that he'll oblige as easily as ours did. He will likely oblige more quickly than your husband will when you send him out for pizza and explain this scenario to him right as he's going out the door. I'm just saying.

IMG_8450.jpg

There you have it! A fun little pizza shop for your little one to enjoy.


Also, Tiffany is contributing a tutorial today over at KoJo Designs "Gifts for Guys" series, so head over and check her out! You're sure to find some inspiration for the big and small men in your life.



I'll be linking to these great parties this week! Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy.png

25 comments:

Sue@Uniquely Chic November 22, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

What a wonderfully creative Christmas present...the best kind!

Tiffany November 22, 2010 at 6:27 AM  

Erin, this is one of the coolest and most creative presents I have ever seen seriously! LOVE the pizza shop! It's all adorable and I can't even imagine how much fun it would be for a kid to play with! Love that you thought to put beads in a container to make a fun sound for Jayce! Love the cupcake pan for toppings, love the cheese and the apron is crazy cute!

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too November 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

Awesome gift idea! Love the little pizza & I am sure your son will too. You will have to do a post on Christmas showing him with his pizza gear!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape November 22, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

WOW... this is fantastic. I want one for me!!!

Patrice November 22, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

He is going to love this! You really knocked that one out of the park! Love it!

Lori P November 22, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

This is just amazing. I salute your creativity. (bowing down)

Lelan @ Good Gravy! November 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

This is a fantastic idea! And I love the "cheese!"

Alyssa November 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

This is SO awesome! And so doable!! Thanks for making and posting!!
Alyssa

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife November 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

This is soooo cute! My son is getting a toy kitchen (made by me) for Christmas...this would be so perfect to go with it!

Jessica November 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

This is absolutely fantastic! Well done!

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure November 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

Hi Erin this is really creative .Please stop by tommrow after 4:30
to link up this project I love the "cheese" also

Martha Carolyn November 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

Amanda November 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

Love this. Joshua wants to have a pizza store when he grows up (and be a scientist) :) This would be perfect!

Unknown November 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

OMG HOW CUTE!!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com November 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

This is truly great. I think I might just have to stay up late a few nights so my little guy can have one too!

Shelley Dawn November 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

So cute! I love the "string" cheese - I wanna play!

Nielson Shmielson November 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Okay okay I LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous November 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

Wow this is such a creative idea! Looks good enough too eat! hehe

~Crystal's Creations~
http://crystalscreations7.blogspot.com

bichonpawz November 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

This is such a great idea! I wish I had a little kid to shop for this year!! Very creative!! You did a great job!!

Prairie Scraps November 23, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

I would love to have you link up to my Saving Christmas Link party: http://spartasavings.blogspot.com/2010/11/saving-christmas-week-5.html

TLF November 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

This is so creative.. I love it!!

Becca Ross November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

I know what I'll be making this weekend! This is a great idea. I think I'll make one for my classroom and one for my daughter's kindergarten teacher. It would be a great way to let the kids act out the book Pete's A Pizza.

Thanks for linking up to Home and Family Friday!

Becca

Caroline @ Artfully Caroline November 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

That is just awesome. My little bug would love something like that !!

Andi November 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

I can't get over how adorable this is!!! All the little details that you did. So creative. What kid wouldn't love this?? Awesome job! I hear ya on sewing circles...if you are ever enlightened on the subject please share! Oh and Arrested Development...miss that crazy show! Now I have modern family :-)

Joanna December 9, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I'm a new reader and I absolutely LOVE this project! It is so perfect for my son! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails